The University of Southampton is a truly international institution with a global reputation for excellence in leading-edge research. Students from more than 130 different nations study here and our network of university partnerships spans the globe.
The University of Southampton has four campuses in Southampton city: Highfield Campus (where the main library, sports centre and Students' Union are located), Avenue Campus (home of our Faculty of Humanities), Waterfront Campus (where the National Oceanography Centre and our Ocean and Earth Sciences are) and Southampton General Hospital. All the campuses are connected through the University Uni-link bus service.
The University of Southampton was invited by the Ministry of Higher Education to establish a branch campus for engineering within the EduCity@Iskandar development in Iskandar, Malaysia. Iskandar is the nation’s economic zone located in southern Johor, just minutes from Singapore. Undergraduate degrees in engineering will be available from October 2012. Teaching will be split between our campuses in the UK and Malaysia.
Ten reasons to study at the University of Southampton:
1. International recognition: We are ranked 75th in the world (QS World University Rankings 2011) - one of only 19 UK universities to be ranked among the top 100 in the world.
2. The University of Southampton is in position 151st in the International League Table published by the Shanghai Jiao Tong University China in 2011.
3. One of the UK’s leading universities: we are ranked among the top 20 UK universities - in 14th position on the Complete University Guide 2012 and in 19th position on the Times Good University Guide 2012 .
4. Research quality: in the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise (RAE), more than 60% of our research was considered word-leading or internationally excellent. The University of Southampton is ranked joint 9th among Russell Group universities in terms of the 2008 RAE.
5. Student satisfaction: The University of Southampton has been ranked 10th in the UK for student satisfaction according to The Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey 2011.
6. Prime location: Southampton is just over one hour from central London, on the south coast of England. We are surrounded by areas of natural beauty including the New Forest and the Isle of Wight, and connected to the rest of the UK and Europe through superb road, rail, air and sea links.
7. International diversity: we have over 22,000 students including more than 5,000 students from from more than 130 different countries. Our departments have many international links and are active members of international initiatives like the World Universities Network, the Centre for Contemporary China and the Thai-UK Collaborative Research Network.
8. Guaranteed accommodation: All our international (non-EU) students have guaranteed accommodation during their first year studies in our Halls of Residence (conditions apply).
9. Work prospects: The quality of our graduates is recognised by employers worldwide, who are often invited to our Open Careers Days on campus. Our Career Destinations Department offers free advice to all our students for up to three years after graduation. We are renowned for our close links with business and industry and have been ranked in the top 20 UK universities for graduate starting salaries (2010 Sunday Times University Guide rankings).
10. Support to international students: our professional services offer free and confidential support for our international students.
To find out more about University of Southampton and its entry requirements, please contact us here.